Saturday 6 January 2007

Israeli troops kill four in Ramallah raid - 4 Jan 2007

Israeli troops kill four in Ramallah raid
Report, Ma'an News Agency, 4 January 2007

The IDF and my daughter's hamburger
Sam Bahour, Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:17:11 +0200

Living the New Year's Raid on Ramallah
Dana Shalash writing from Ramallah, occupied Palestine, Live from Palestine, 5 January 2007
I have just come back from Ramallah where together with my sister I was locked inside a building at Al Manara, Ramallah's city center, for four hours.


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Footage from Al Jazeera:

Israeli incursion in Ramallah live on Al Jazeera Arabic
03:45


Israeli incursion in Ramallah live on Al Jazeera English -1
10:13


Israeli incursion in Ramallah live on Al Jazeera English -2
10:03


Al-Jazeera News Jan. 4, 2007
News from Al-Jazeera English, recorded at 15:30 hrs UTC on January 4, 2007. Israel's incursion into Ramallah, Israeli-Egyptian talks, Hamas-Fatah fighting in Gaza. 09:18


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


IDF enter Ramallah Again; Israel calls the invasion “routine”
January 4, 2007
On my first trip to Ramallah, I immediately noticed strange track patterns scrapped into many of the street curbs. I later learned that these markings were impressions made by the heavy weight of Israeli tanks as they policed the streets during frequent invasions into the West Bank city. It seems the whole of Palestine is littered with physical reminders of occupation, from checkpoints and home invasions and demolitions to travel restrictions and an archaic and discriminatory permit system forbidding many Palestinians from ever entering Al-Quds (Jerusalem).

The "Normal" Violence of Everyday Life in Palestine
Magdalen Hess writing from Ramallah, occupied Palestine, Live from Palestine, 11 January 2007
I am amazed at people's capacity for horror and kindness. In the middle of an outrageous Israeli attack (using American-supplied weapons) on civilians, a Palestinian woman gave me (an American) a ride to safety before she saw her own son safely home.

When I got back to my family's apartment -- when I was safe -- I fell apart, shaking uncontrollably from head-to-toe. Afterwards, when I watched English Al Jazeera and saw video clips of one of the shooting victims it hit me differently than those kinds of images ever have before.

What struck me most was the relative calm of my friend who drove me to safety. I was visibly frightened, but for her, and many other Palestinians, today's events in Ramallah were part of the "normal" landscape of daily life.

Magdalen Hess is a 26-year-old US citizen whose mother, step-father and brother live and work in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. Though she has not lived in the West Bank since her girlhood, Magdalen continues to feel connection with and commitment to the Palestinian quest for statehood. She is visiting her family in Ramallah during the first weeks of January 2007 and witnessed the January 4 Israeli assault on Ramallah.

No comments: